Rich Staats Homepage
The Original Dr. Games Site since 1993
Thank you for visiting this site.
Welcome to my homepage!
The hobby related items are a little further down in the list! Tell me what you
think! You can reach me by e-mail at: email@example.com
LAST UPDATED: 19 August 2014
Hobby Related Links
- Thoughts on the "Create Magic Item ritual" in 4th Ed. D&D by Rich Staats 2012 (HTML)(2K)
- Thoughts on "Old School Gaming" by Rich Staats 2010 (HTML)(2K)
- How to deal with multiple, plot significant NPCs in the same scene by Rich Staats 2007 (HTML)(2K)
- Why I Hung-Up the Dice Bag after getting back from Hell by Rich Staats 2006 (HTML)(3K)
- Dealing with Evil One of the key points I've made at presentations on GMing is that the GM serves his players best by working inside his own moral comfort zone. The article here deals with what to do when the party heads down the wrong path. Enjoy!
- Legend of Sluggotha Recent Gaming One-up! One of my favorite one-up systems is Stellar Games' "It Came from the Late, Late Show." We recently did a one-up called the Legend of Sluggotha. Check out the link; it was a lot of fun.
Link to the Current TSYF Homepage Just added a link to an overview of the current campaign in Zhalindor.
- How to design an FRP World by Rich Staats and expanded on by J.Vesanto (PDF)
- A list of my most recent RPG Articles by Rich Staats (HTML)(3K)
- Gamemastering Principles by Rich Staats (HTML)(3K)
- Article on integrating Glorantha into non-Gloranthan campaigns by Rich Staats [HTML] (8K)
- Barney & Roleplaying by Unknown(?) (TEXT)
- Plothook (Idea for Campaign) by Rich Staats (TEXT)
- FRP Module Design Guide by Rich Staats (TEXT)
- David Dunham's RQ Page by David Dunham (HTML)
- GM Horror Stories by Rich Staats, aided by Phillip Hume (TEXT)
- It Came from the Late, Late Show by Rich Staats (HTML)
- FRP Web-stuff On-Line Guide to PBeM & WWW Gaming Tools by Irony Games (HTML)
- Guide to Non-player characters! by Rich Staats (HTML)(27K)
- Map of the Campaign World cartography and illumination by Rich Staats (GIF)(260K)
- Small Map of the Campaign World cartography and illumination by Rich Staats (GIF)(77K)
- Campaign World as stolen and expanded on by Rich Staats (TEXT)(30K)
- Love in FRPs (or "Love in the Dungeon") by Rich Staats (HTML)(7K)
- Quick and Dirty Guide to Running a Panel at a Convention by Rich Staats (TEXT)(3K)
It was founded by my good friend and editor, Pete Maranci. I published a regular column, "the Guest," in "IR" for several years. (Much of my published gaming material came out of projects for "IR.") Eventually, Pete left the editor job to attend to life's demands including a new job, a new wife, and eventually a new child. (Congratulations Pete!) About half of the contributors left when Peter did. Some of the stalwarts decided to have "a go" at reviving "IR," and it managed well enough for another year or so. I have not seen an issue in a while; so, I think that it might be defunct at this point.
PBeM Campaign Turns
Introduction/Overview of PBeM Campaign **Under heavy construction** Read Me First!
This is a continuation of a Campaign that has been running now since 1976.
A quick Campaign history is as follows.
Years Location [Title]
1976-80 Wisconsin [A Fistful of Gold and Steel]
1980-84 West Point, NY, USA [Soldier, Wizard, Thief]
1985-86 Stuttgart, Germany [The Perils of Immortality]
1986-88 Zweibruecken, Germany [The Death of a Nation]
1988 Hopewell, VA, USA [Nature's Revenge]
1988-89 Tong du Chong, S. Korea [Bits and Pieces]
1988-90 Play-by-Mail(Ishmolin Campaign) [The Wages of War]
1988-90 Fort Riley, KS, USA [The Avataress of Kemer-Lexi]
1990-92 Cambridge, MA, USA [The Last Rise of the Lichlord]
1992-94 Cambridge, MA, USA [The Demise of Moloch and Things left undone]
1994-Present PBeM [The Crater at the End of Time]
1994-95 McLean, VA, USA [The Wolfen and Slith War]
1997-2000 McLean, VA, USA [The Kernan Campaign]
2000-01 Fairfax, VA, USA [The Lost Tribe of Palmalta]
2001 Fairfax, VA, USA [Things Undone: Exploration of Silfa and Starside Sessions]
2001-05 Fairfax, VA, USA [The True Shall Set You Free]
2005-07 Fairfax County, VA, USA [Exploits of the Pirate Queen: Run by Ken Byrer]
2006-Present Various Locations World-wide [Sins of the Fathers]
2011-14 Fairfax, VA, USA [Bold Beginnings]
2014-Present Fairfax, VA, USA [Strands of Fate]
Greatest appreciation is given to all the party members who played over the years!
A partial list is: Dr. Marcy Meyer, Samantha Zylstra, Dr. Eric Zylstra, Phillip Hume, John "Tewks" Tewksbury, Dr. Jessica Maybar-Staats, Jon Roorda, Joey Wyzorek, Anca Mosou, Dr. dan brown, La Mica Belzer, Mark Brandreth, Alexander Mueller, Rodrigo Rubio, Dr. David Markowitz, Irina Clements Staats, Costa, Charles Cavazos, Susan Meckfessel, Robert Lee,
Steven, Danny and Michael Kunkel, William Reed, Chuck and Todd Forest,
Randy Schultz, Dr. Robert Sadowski, David Hayes, Danny Schwitalla,
Todd Foley, Lalit Jain, the late Joe Gaskill, Micah Sisk, Mark Thomas,
Josh Caulfield, Kathy, Beth and Ben Staats, James, Erik, Christine Johnson,
Marlena Jones, Erin Obrien, Greg Friend, Charlie Ball, et.al.
Crater at the End of Time PBeM Turns
Overview of the World (Part I)
Questions/Answers on the First Turn
Questions/Answers on the Second Turn
More Questions/Answers on the Second Turn
Even more Questions/Answers on the Second Turn
Party Plan for Turn 2
Questions/Answers on Third Turn
Fourth Turn (Part I)
Fourth Turn (Part II)
Questions/Answers on Fourth Turn
More Questions/Answers on Fourth Turn
Fifth Turn (Part I)
Fifth Turn (Part II)
Fifth Turn (Part III)
Questions/Answers on Fifth Turn
More general questions
Interesting moral debate . . .
Questions/Answers on Sixth Turn
Seventh Turn (Part I)
Exposition on Turn 7 by Eric Zylstra
Seventh Turn (Part IIa)
Seventh Turn (Part IIb)
Watch here (at some point in a time far, far away) for the startling conclusion, "Cosmos, Crater, Watchmaker!"
A Selection of Additional Interesting Links
The History of Guinea Pigs
A Selection of Work Related Links
The MITRE Corporation
Presentation to International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence
Operations Research Michael Trick's CMU OR Site
AAAI Homepage American Association for Artificial Intelligence
Return to Main Page
You can reach me by e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org
This is strictly non-for-profit; if you see something you believe is in violation of
this, please contact me immediately! I will remove it!