Looking Big Brother in the Eye
by Dr. Rich Staats
Objective: Ensure the audience enjoys the panel. Provide some grist for the mill on what some of the state-of-play versus art of the possible issues are. To reassure you as a neutral observer that the seniors in the government are profoundly concerned about protecting and maintaining individual liberties in this time of crisis.
- Oaths of Office ("… defend the Constitution …")
- We don’t use the assets we have now to collect against US citizens
- Civil liberties in the US will only be eroded to the extent that the general populace encourages that to happen.
- Civil liberties do both expand and contract over time
- Miranda rights
- "Right" of Privacy
- Church and State
- Outside the US is another issue entirely …
- Question back to the audience: "as an informed body, what "rights" are you willing to give up to achieve a specific level of security?